Welcome all to our Vikings crossover event! This event will include an episode on the Going Viking Podcast presenting Lee Accomando from Viking Age Podcast, Steven Dunn from Fjörn’s Hall, and me, Kevin McAllister. We encourage YOU to get involved in our event as well! This is not just a podcast episode, but something for everyone to join in, have fun, discuss and all the while maybe even win a prize! Let me break down how this will work for you.
Have you ever filled out a bracket for March Madness NCAA basketball before? If you haven’t, its one of those things that you need no prior knowledge of. Yes, it can help if you study each team and look at their strengths and weaknesses to determine the result of a game. However, a lot of it is based off good luck and well, it can just be the name of the game. The March Madness tournament starts off with 64 teams based on their regular season records to determine their seed. There are four sections North, South, East and West that include teams ranked 1 through 16. The first round begins with the best team playing the lowest seed team. For example, team 1 plays team 16. Team 2 plays team 15, team 3 plays team 14 and so on. The tournament is single elimination. If your team losses in any round of the tournament they are eliminated, and the winner moves on. The goal is to reach the championship and win, to be determined the best team in NCAA basketball. You are probably thinking, why have I bored you with all of this?
Let me introduce a whole new style of March Madness! We have created a field of 64 people from the Viking Age in the sagas and other resources, and implemented them in a tournament style of play. After weeks of collaboration and discussion, we have placed each person in a specific seed based on their accomplishments, legacy and their impact on the Viking Age. Now, it’s your turn to determine who is the King of the Vikings!
HOW TO PLAY:
- Follow the link to the bracket here –>Bracket
- If you have a Google account, go up to the File tab, then click on Make a Copy. This is where you can begin filling out your bracket.
- If you do not have a Google account, go to File then Download As –> Microsoft Excel to save it to your computer.
- Completely fill out the bracket to the best of your knowledge by using the drop down arrows provided in each round. No typing necessary.
- Submit your bracket, including your name and email address in the Google Form to be eligible for the prize –> Google Form
- Listen to the Going Viking Podcast episode that will be published on Thursday March 28, 2019 to hear who the hosts pick in each round. Their picks will be the official “scoring system” on how the winner will be determined.
- The contest begins on Monday March 18, 2019 and the deadline to submit a bracket is Wednesday March 27, 2019 at Midnight EST.
- No purchase necessary to enter or win the contest!
- One entry permitted per person
- Contest is open to everyone who wants to play!
- The person with the most picks right overall will be the winner!
- In the event of a tie, a random drawing will determine the winner
- The winner will receive a carved Viking drinking horn from our good friends at The Froggy Viking AND the paperback form of The Sagas of Icelanders (Penguin Collection).